Serrano bumps, passes and blocks

Tylin Jarrett

Harlow Frank
Junior varsity Antonio Serrano gets ready to serve the ball during a game against Granada Hills Charter High School on March 29.

After watching his older brother play volleyball and having fun with his team, junior Antonio Serrano knew what sport he wanted to play in high school.

“I started to play because of my brother,” Serrano said. “When I was in eighth grade, I watched his games and thought the sport was really cool. I started playing the following year.”

Serrano has played volleyball throughout his entire high school career for Birmingham Community Charter High School, playing JV as a freshman and starting on varsity as a middle blocker these last two years. Last year, the Patriots varsity volleyball team did not find much success. This year, Serrano aims to change that.

“I’ve started watching volleyball videos and doing personal training on my off-days to get better at the game and help us be a successful volleyball team,” Serrano explained.

Serrano has had a big impact on the game when he is playing, which is most of the game. Stats such as blocks and kills per game are not usually recorded or put on MaxPreps for high school volleyball, but the team statistically does better when he is on the court.

When he was asked about his goals for this season, he was very straightforward and to the point.

“My main goal for this season is to get a ring,” he said.  “I want to win a championship. It’s always been a goal I’ve had.”

Head coach LeAnne Bennett-Riley had some praise for the standout junior, as well.

“Antonio has always been really coachable, which makes my job a lot easier,” Bennett- Riley said. “He’s been listening a lot better to what I’ve been telling him to do and has learned how to make in-game adjustments sooner rather than later.”

Serrano has proved that he can produce for his team and has started both his sophomore and junior years on varsity. He also loves the game with a passion and wants to keep playing for as long as he can.

“I just love the game,” Serrano said. “If I get a scholarship, I will definitely take it and play in college. If not, then we’ll see. But for now, I’m just going to play volleyball and enjoy it.”